12.23.2010

Charleston Represents

My trip to Miami had several motives. My main goal was to see the art, of course, but I am also lucky enough to work for an artist who was showing in Miami. My boss, Benjamin Hollingsworth, was showing several pieces in a show entitled Voyeur at a new luxury condominium on the corner of Collins and 21st Street. So on Friday morning Kristy Bishop and I headed down to Miami Beach to help hang the show.

Luckily the opening later that night was awesome! Benjamin, Kristy, and I were a little worried after spending the afternoon just asking for bad luck—as a part of Ben’s installation, we broke mirrors and walked under ladders all afternoon! Whew! Here’s a few shots from the installation and the opening (sorry, the light’s not so great):

The before shot: installation

Other works at Voyeur; triptych by Ben Olson


The after shot: Kristy and Shelley lighting the candles at the opening

And I was happy to see there were other artists representing for Charleston! In addition to about 10-15 artists I spotted from Charleston in Miami, I knew that Scott Debus, another Charleston artist, was out there somewhere with a moving truck full of work, but we hadn’t found him yet. One night, while walking through the Design District of Miami, we stumbled upon Scott, putting his work out there on the busy streets. Scott had rented this huge moving truck and turned it into a mobile gallery. The shear spectacle was drawing in a huge crowd, with Scott’s paintings on wood creating a mural alongside the truck and a small entryway at the top of the truck’s ramp. It was like going into a fun house, and the inside was even complete with Scott’s fun house mirrors! He was selling a lot of work and had a line to get in. I call it a success! And even though Scott mentioned he had been there almost 24/7 all week and was maybe a little exhausted, I could tell by the smile on his face that he was having a great time too. All in all, it was a great vibe for viewing work. I talked to Scott recently about his experience and he suggests we all (Charleston folks) pack up our moving trucks and take over an entire parking lot in Miami next year. The mobile gallery is on—maybe we can make it an entire mobile art fair…who’s in?!




No comments:

Post a Comment